Saturday, April 11, 2020 - Saturday, April 18, 2020
In Sycamore and Across Illinois, Shoppers are Encouraged to Stay at Home – and Shop Local Supporting Small Business During Pandemic is Crucial for Their Survival
SPRINGFIELD (April 7, 2020) – Sycamore Chamber of Commerce is joining chambers and small businesses across the state of Illinois to launch the ‘IL’ove Local campaign to encourage people to support local businesses during the week of April 11 – 18, 2020. While the Illinois Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives (IACCE) is leading efforts to unite chambers across the state in the initiative, Sycamore Chamber is taking a leadership role in our community.
The statistics are staggering for small businesses following natural disasters: according to FEMA, roughly 40-60% of small businesses that close after a disaster never re-open.
Each dollar spent at a local, independent business returns 50 times more money to the local economy than shopping at a mega e-retailer. Across Illinois, small businesses provide communities with good jobs, quality service, and the character that makes cities, towns and neighborhoods feel like home.
From Chicago to Carbondale and the Mississippi to Lake Michigan, Illinois chambers are coming together sharing resources, building community and uniting to create the week-long initiative designed to drive business to our small businesses. Collectively small, local businesses are the states’ largest employer. Small businesses employ more than half of working class in the United States.
WHAT SHOPPERS CAN DO
- Follow social distancing guidelines and stay home as much as possible.
- Buy Local. Find out if your favorite local store has an online shop or reach out to them to find out how you can purchase now for pick up later.
- Buy gift cards to use later.
- Take online virtual classes from your favorite local business.
- Get takeout/delivery – Tip big!
o Consider buying lunch/dinner for the first responders, you will help your local
restaurants and the people who serve us all. o Buy gift cards from local businesses for your favorite waiter/waitress/bartender.
- Like and share your favorite local businesses social media post.
o Once you’ve purchased a gift card or meal, take a picture of it, share it on your
social media and hashtag #IloveIllinois o OR use #shopsmall #shopillinois #Illinoisstrong #AllInIllinois
- Maintain your memberships
- Check out chamber links and directories for a one-stop shop in shopping small, of all the ways to support independent Illinois businesses in your backyard. (www.IllinoisLoveLocal.com)
This is a partnership led by the Illinois Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives, with participation from Chambers of Commerce across Illinois in support small business across the state. The Illinois Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives was established in 1915 and serves over 130 chambers of commerce and their professional staff throughout the state. IACCE supports the development of chamber professionals by creating opportunities for growth and recognition.